Updated: Mar 21
5 Easy steps..
Unlike most things you will do in life, starting running doesn't really need a 'Why'. Sometimes people have a reason and that's great too. But you certainly don't need one. Running is for everyone and here is how to start in 5 easy steps:
Step 1: Find a running buddy or running group
- Trust me, running with other people is MUCH easier and a lot more fun. Try and get involved in a local group - slightly daunting at first but runners are always welcoming so you'll soon have new friends to run with. Take a friend or colleague along to ease the nerves...
Step 2: Set an initial goal
- This might be in the form of a race or even just a target distance. For example, 'I want to be able to run 5km without stopping within 3 months'. A goal needs to be reasonably specific and measurable to putting a distance or a time to achieve is a great idea.
Step 3: Appropriate gear
- Another beauty of running - minimal gear required. Obviously, the shoes are the most important and need to be suitable for your feet and running style but any decent shoe shop can help with this. (Ask if you need help!! Don't just pick the most stylish shoe)
- The other consideration is dressing for conditions - be safe! Layers are key in the cold and having a quality waterproof is worth the investment. Otherwise, comfortable and c
Step 4: A vague plan of progression
- Using an app like 'Couch to 5km' is a brilliant way to guide you from no running to consistently running. Using this will prevent most injuries as you allow your body to become accustom to the load running has on your body (especially joints and tendons).
- Starting with nice short walk/jog session and progressing to 1-2km slow jogs and then on to the longer stuff as well as increasing speed if you fancy it!
- A quick mention of some simple strength exercises is important - Doing some specific but simple muscle strength work for your legs/butt/core will make life a lot easier while beginning your running journey
- Runfit physio can help with training plans if needed!
Step 5: Get started!!
- Don't overthink it. It's the best decision you will ever make and change your life in so many ways. You will mentally and physically feel better and no doubt meet some amazing characters along the way!
Injuries can happen - make sure you get in touch with Runfit Physio to help you get back out pounding the pavement again soon!